Historic Garden Week King William County 2014
The Garden Club of the Middle Peninsula proudly presents the public tour “Fox Trails in Western King William County” on Friday, May 2, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm as part of Historic Garden Week in Virginia. Five properties—three of which are associated with the Fox family, early settlers of the county—will be open to the public for this special event. The tour celebrates the floral design talents of local garden club members and the antebellum and agricultural history of King William County. Only 15 minutes off I-95 between Richmond and Fredericksburg and 15 minutes from Route 360, the tour is easily accessible from all directions and convenient for bus tours.
Built in 1807 by John Fox, Roseville Plantation and its original five out-buildings gives visitors a glimpse of early agricultural life in Virginia. The 100-year old red cedars lining the drive lead to the white frame home while apple, cherry and pear trees punctuate the yard and gardens. Surrounding the house are the horse barn, summer kitchen, granary, chicken houses, smokehouse, privy, and school house. The owners have restored many of the out-buildings and furnished them in a manner representative of their original use. Open for the first time by owners Bob and Nancy Hubbard.
Built in 1808 by James Fox, Retreat is a two-story brick home that has grown into a gracious living space with its later additions. Fine English, French, Chinese, and American antiques abound throughout the elegantly appointed rooms and the walls are enhanced with original watercolors and oil paintings. The owners have an extensive collection of American sporting and Native American art. Old wicker furniture on the back veranda brings back memories of a gentler time. Open for the first time by owners Bill and Suzanne Thomas.
Sitting on 350 acres, Belle Forest was built in 2004 and welcomes visitors with its gracefully appointed rooms. Home of “Engel Family Farms,” this modern working farm is part of an extensive production agriculture business. Showing their love for their business, the Engel family has a collection of precision level Ertel farm equipment toy models and tractors from the 1940s and 50s once owned by the owner’s grandfather that will all be on display. Open for the first time by owners Kevin and Denise Engel.
Whar Dat Farm
The magic begins with the first glimpse of the Jacobean chimneys peeking over the woods. Around the bend the modern Tudor manor home built in 2000 comes as an unanticipated pleasant surprise. But the surprises continue with seven Gillette inspired garden rooms complete with sculpture, fountain, and masses of flowering perennials. The interior of the home is just as charming as the exterior. Rooms are filled with antique pieces and original works of art and unexpected bits of whimsy bring smiles. Open for Historic Garden Week by Lewis and Poohdie Miller.
Hebron Baptist Church
Built in 1854, this Greek Revival church was witness to the Civil War. Stragglers from General Grant’s Army, who moved from the North Anna River through this area toward Cold Harbor in the summer of 1864, fired a shot through the east front door woodwork leaving a permanent scar while another shot hit the pulpit. An inscription from a Union soldier was also written in the church Bible, which now rests on the communion table. During the May 2 tour, refreshments will be served at the church between 2:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Hebron Baptist’s Civil War history will also be told through period costumes and floral arrangements by an award-winning floral designer to interpret either the dress or the occasion for wearing it. A collection of Civil War artifacts and memorabilia will also be on display.